Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Meet the Members of the Business Council 2008-2009

President: Betsy Smith

Betsy, a senior in the School of Business concentrating in Human Resource Management, has been an active member of the GWSB community since her freshman year. Within the School of Business, she has served as a GWSB Ambassador (3 years), an FYDP Mentor (2 years), has chaired both the Mintz Sophomore Getaway and Back2Business, and has been a member of the Business Council (2 years). In her current position as Co-Curricular Coordinator of Undergraduate Programs, she has had the opportunity to work closely with GWSB faculty and staff and truly understands the inner workings of the School of Business. Betsy is also highly involved in extra-curricular activities and is a proud member of Delta Sigma Pi and GW Women in Business. At several national conferences, Betsy has been inspired by the leadership of Business Councils at other leading universities. She aspires to make the GWSB Business Council a more effective, vital part of the School of Business.

Executive Vice President: Timothy Devlin
The Business Council will be a great opportunity to give back to the GW community, which has served me for the past three years. During my time at GW, I have pursued opportunities within the surrounding community including my current internship as a special events and marketing assistant with the Georgetown Business Improvement District. At this position, I have been responsible for organizing and communicating with various diverse businesses to ensure the success of events within Georgetown. This is no different from the mission of the Business Council, which is to work with unique Business School organizations to ensure their longevity and success. Additionally, I will bring an enhanced understanding regarding the process of running successful events. In Georgetown I have assisted in the planning and creation of multiple events which were both successful and well attended. With this knowledge, I will be able to assist other leaders in creating, advertising and promoting their various events within the School of Business. In closing, I believe my outside perspective will offer a unique insight towards the forming of this important council. As a leader within the Business Council, I would work to establish an effective dialogue between organizations and work to ensure the longevity and effectiveness of this organization.

Secretary/Treasurer: Casey Welch

My name is Casey Welch and I’m a sophomore in the School of Business. The role of the Secretary/Treasurer is to take minutes at every meeting and to monitor the Council’s finances in partnership with Undergraduate Programs. I have previous experience in both aspects of this position. In high school, I was Treasurer of my Class Council. Currently, I am the Secretary/Historian of my pledge class in Delta Sigma Pi, a business fraternity. I am an organized and professional person with a passion for business. I want to make GW’s School of Business a better place to learn and develop. The wants and needs of students have always been a priority of the Council, and I will continue this commitment. I will uphold my record-keeping and financial duties while helping build a strong, solid foundation of the Business Council for years to come.

VP of Community Service: Anne Linneman

As a senior in the business school, I live and love the George Washington University and more specifically our thriving business community. I have been very involved in both as a Colonial Cabinet member, alum of the Elizabeth Somers Women’s Leadership Program, a proud brother of Delta Sigma Pi and an FYDP mentor. Currently, I am the Community Service VP of the Business School Council and couldn’t be more excited to bring professors, students, and administration together for a good cause. My mission is to bring awareness and participation in the local community, country, and world by making community service and philanthropy our business.

VP of Fundraising: Clarice C. Casamina

The GW Business Council offers our business students the opportunity to collaborate not only to better themselves, but The George Washington University School of Business through innovative ideas, entrepreneurial endeavors, and high energy! One of The Business Council’s goals is to provide a true sense of community for the business school students. During my time at GWU, I’ve tried to apply what I’ve learned in class through internships and job opportunities outside of the university. I am currently working in the Marketing Department of a national top 10 B2B Media Company in DC, getting real hands-on experience. I am a proud and active member of Delta Sigma Pi and I am very excited about serving on the Business Council, and even more so, serving as the Fundraising Chair. I look forward to supporting the Business Council in our financial endeavors, and I want to ensure that we present the Business Council to local companies as well as national corporations as best as we can.

VP of Public Relations: Serena Wong

It is imperative that as the GWSB develops, an organization such as the Business Council manages and steers the various groups within the School. As a sophomore, I have been involved with various campus student organizations such as Treasurer of the Chinese American Student Association, alum of the Elizabeth Somers Women's Leadership Program, and brother of Alpha Kappa Psi. As VP of Public Relations, I hope to find innovative and creative ideas to attract students of the Business School to our various events.

VP of Technology: Mike Rossetti

I am a senior concentrating in Information Systems Technology Management and am currently enrolled in the 5-year BBA/MSIST dual degree program. Throughout my past three years at GW, I have been involved in the following organizations/activities:
2007 Colonial Cabinet, FYDP Mentor, Delta Sigma Pi (Business Fraternity), Sigma Phi Epsilon (Social Fraternity), Omicron Delta Kappa (Leadership Honor Society), Order of Omega (Greek Honor Society), Marvin Center Governing Board. I hope to bring all the experiences and perspectives I have gained from my various roles within these groups to my new role on the Business Council. As VP of Technology, I will attempt to use technology to improve the channels of communication between GWSB administrators, student organizations, and students themselves. A steady and significant flow of information between these entities should bring them closer together and make them each more successful. It is my goal that this collaboration and awareness will ultimately increase the sense of community and pride that GWSB students feel towards their school and fellow classmates.

VP of Social Activities: William Morse

My name is William Morse, and I'm a sophomore concentrating in Sport, Event, and Hospitality Management. I'm from St. Charles, IL, and along with the Business Council, I am the President of the West End RAC, a member of College Democrats, and I am in intramural tennis. I have worked as a Student Event planner for Commencement, the Concierge Desk at the Marvin Center, and I have interned at Scannell & Wight consulting all while at GW. Along with many other of my fellow business council members, I have planned many events and we have scheduled many more to look forward to this year.

No comments: